Kelly S. Klatt, CPP, CLSD has been a member of IAPSC for 11 years, joining just as he launched his business, Center for Security Solutions, Inc.
When transitioning from the corporate world to retirement and ultimately self-employment, Kelly’s research led him to “the two best things ever” -- reading IAPSC’s Founder, Chuck Sennewald’s book “Security Consulting” and joining The International Association of Professional Security Consultants.
“Chuck’s book gave me immediate basic building blocks to open, document and organize my business. By attending my first IAPSC Annual Conference, I created lasting partnerships with other IAPSC members and industry peers that I still cherish and utilize today.”
Some of the key IAPSC perks for Kelly live on the IAPSC member portal. He uses IAPSC for outside engagement referrals. He shares information and requests assistance from other IAPSC members via the member library. Kelly finds other members when a new job is best suited for them or if there is a question they might be able to assist with.
What were some of the lessons you learned over the course of the pandemic?
I think the best part of the last year, during the pandemic, has been the trust and confidence Loews Hotels placed in me to keep our entire campus of eight resorts and a corporate office complex safe during temporary suspension of operations. Then to design and implement a detailed and complex monitoring program to bring our 4,000 team members and 30,000 guests back to our resorts safely and minimize the potential spread of the virus. I was especially proud that during all the hospitality industry wide layoffs and furloughs, that not a single member of my team of almost 300 Security professionals were ever placed on furlough.
What was your first job?
I became an entrepreneur at the early age of eight. That December my parents took me to Big Bear in the mountains of Los Angeles. My Dad and I picked Mistletoe by the bag full and brought it home. I washed and sorted the Mistletoe into small bouquets and tied them off with red ribbon. Then, I took my squeaky-wheeled little red wagon and went door to door around my neighborhood to sell those little “kissable bouquets” for a quarter each. I made a killin’!
- Kelly served 15 years as a Los Angeles Police Officer.
- After LAPD, he focused on Shopping Center Security Management by joining The Hahn Company and was an active member of the International Council of Shopping Centers.
- Kelly served with the City of San Diego as the Chief of Convention Center Police and member of the International Association of Assembly Managers. He helped manage security for the 1996 Republican National Convention and the 1998 Super Bowl XXXII.
- For the past 21 years Kelly has been responsible for the Loews Hotels in Orlando’s resort campus design and management of their extensive security programs and systems.
- In 2004 Kelly assisted the Hellenic National Police in Athens, Greece with Emergency Operations Center functionality and training in preparation for the XXVIII Olympics.
- Kelly operates the Center for Security Solutions, Inc. (C4SSI) a security consulting group.
Learn more about Kelly Klatt on his IAPSC member profile.
Interested in becoming an IAPSC member? Take the next step.
Are you an IAPSC member interested in a feature? Click here to complete the IAPSC Survey.